Traveling Resident Scholarships
IVU’s Traveling Resident Scholar Program gives urology trainees in North America the opportunity to travel with mentor urologists to teaching hospitals in low-resource parts of Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean. Under the guidance of a board-certified urologist, trainees witness first-hand the level of need in the countries in which they serve, the resourcefulness required to operate in such settings, the joy of serving children and adults in need, and the importance of continued international medical volunteerism and training. Since 1999, more than 250 residents have received a mentored international scholarship.
There are two types of experiences in which urology trainees may participate: surgical exposure or research focused. Depending on the interests of the trainee and the needs of the destination, IVU will work with the trainee to determine the appropriate experience.
- 1 to 2-week trip, coordinated by IVU staff
- Diverse surgical experience with exposure to cases not often seen in the United States
- Collaboration with mentors from other programs
- New appreciation and insight into the needs of the international medical community with the possibility of developing a quality improvement project and reviewing outcomes of overseas healthcare
- With long-lasting relationships in over 30 countries, IVU provides a safe and unique experience for residents that also benefits their training programs, the host countries, and scholarship sponsors.
- Urology residents and fellows in North America who will be PGY-3 or above during the following academic year are eligible to apply.
Scholarship applications are now being accepted for residents in select AUA Sections. Applications for 2024-25 are due March 1, 2024.