An IVUmed team of volunteers just returned from a very productive week-long pediatric workshop in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad. The workshop’s primary focus was on Hypospadias repair, but also addressed several other issues requested by our partners in Trindad. The IVUmed team of volunteers included Dr. Pierre Williot (pediatric urologist), Dr. Janelle Fox (pediatric urologist), and Dr. Kevin Healy (pediatric anesthesiologist). Dr. Barbara Rampersad, a pediatric urologist based in Trinidad, was a wonderful host and organized the workshop which was held at the Eric Williams Medical Science Complex.
The week in Trinidad was an excellent example of putting IVUmed’s motto of Teach One, Reach Many into action. IVUmed volunteers provided both hands-on training and several related lectures. The following list is a summary of lectures:
- Patient Safety Issues (by Dr. Janelle Fox)
- Orchidopexies (by Dr. Janelle Fox) + 2 live laparoscopic orchidopexies with a video/audio link to the amphitheater.
- Investigation of a Child with Ambiguous Genitalia (by Dr. Pierre Williot)
- Pediatric Urologic Emergencies (by Dr. Pierre Williot)
- Regional Anesthesia for Pediatric Surgery (by Dr. Kevin Healy) – presented to the Anesthesia Department
The combination of cases and presentations was very instructive for the participants and there is strong interest to return next year to continue training. Thank you to our IVUmed volunteers and Dr. Rampersad for ensuring a successful workshop!